Completion of East End Stage 1 – QT Hotel
We were proud to be issued the Occupation Certificate for the QT Hotel on 13 May 2022, marking the completion of our East End Stage 1 project in Newcastle.
Commencing in October 2018, with the residential portion (separable portion 1), we officially completed the East End project in March 2021.
The QT Hotel official opening party was held on 8 June 2022 and the new Hotel and Sports Bar began trading to the public on 9 June 2022.
Housed within the heritage-listed 113-year-old former Scotts Limited and David Jones building on Hunter Street Mall, the new hotel comprises:
- 104 hotel rooms
- Ground floor bar and restaurants, commercial kitchens and amenities
- Back of house office, kitchens and amenities
- Rooftop bar and restaurant
- Separate sports bar & lounge
The positive response from the community, hotel guests and patrons emphasises the extremely hard work and effort from all the RCC team to undertake this complicated project.
Some of the unique challenges, excluding COVID and wet weather, that we overcame to deliver the project include:
- Retaining and refurbishing the exisiting heritage structure
- Retaining, refurbishing and reuse of the existing heritage timber structure, including floor jacking to create additional levels
- Access and egress to the project on a city corner block that maintained the heritage façade
- Achieving the QT uniqueness that “No two rooms are the same”.
Congratulations and thank you to the support from the safety team during the build and all staff that contributed to the success of the project.