Client: Watt St Commercial Pty Ltd & Stronach Property
Architect: Crone Partners
Delivery Form: Design and Construct
Location: Newcastle, NSW
Completion date: December 2013
Watt Street Commercial consisted of the refurbishment to the existing David Maddison research facility into 6 levels of open plan, Green Star and 4.5 Star Nabers Rated, A Grade Commercial office space. The project also includes a 200 seat lecture theatre, secure on-site parking, landscaped courtyard and entry foyer cafe featuring a living green wall. (Gross Floor Area of approx 8600m2).
Major demolition works were undertaken to clear out all of the existing partitions before work began on creating this prime commercial centre. The building received:
- Brand new façade cladding, sunshade louvres and glazing all round;
- Four large terraces were given a major overhaul including tiling and glazed balustrades;
- The iconic existing curved concrete facades were given new life through pressure cleaning and painting as well as the external concrete columns;
- Additions of a café space, large atrium, vertical garden, timber feature wall, carefully selected tiles, architecturally designed landscaping and all new footpaths to surrounds.
- The electrical, hydraulic, mechanical, fire, security and lift services were completely re-designed and installed new, to comply with greenstar regulations.
- Extension of the southern end of the building from Level 4 to roof.