The Blue Mountains Cultural Centre is a new regional art gallery combined with an interpretive centre devoted to education about the distinctive environment, history and culture of the region. It showcases innovative, diverse, distinctive and creative cultural programs for enjoyment by residents of, and visitors to, the Blue Mountains.
The Cultural Centre building will also house the new Katoomba Library in an exciting partnership to deliver programs merging art and literature. It is a bright and modern facility with plenty of natural light and quiet spaces. It provides a wonderful resource for the whole community and is the first new library to be built in the Blue Mountains in over thirty years.
The Library features a range of collections such as fiction, non-fiction, reference, biographies, CDs, DVDs, magazines and newspapers as well as an exciting new children’s area with picture books, readers, fiction and non-fiction. It includes a multipurpose space for activities such as children’s story times and book launches, meeting spaces, quiet study areas, lounges for reading, a youth area and more computers for internet access.
The Cultural Centre’s primary functions are the City Art Gallery and the World Heritage Interpretive Centre, along with:
- Foyer – providing cultural and visitor information
- Theatrette/Seminar Room – for seminars and presentations
- Multi Purpose Workshop – for educational public programs
- Gallery Restaurant/Café – for fine food and outdoor dining
- Gallery Shop – providing quality craft and mementos of the Blue Mountains region
- Two public courtyards and a scenic viewing platform –providing opportunities for outdoor events and spectacular views over the Jamison Valley.
The spacious state-of-the-art regional gallery is 600m2 and is air conditioned to international conservation standard. It features quality, curated, local, regional and major touring exhibitions and offer educational workshops and outreach programs to the community
Client: Coles Group Property Development Ltd
Architect: Hassell & Scott Carver Architects
Delivery Form: Design & Construct
Location: Blue Mountains, NSW
Value: $38.9 m
Completion date: October 2012